The United States state of Colorado as a part of Western United States, Southwestern United States and the Mountain States surrounds a large portion of the Southern Rocky Mountains, the northeastern section of the Colorado Plateau and the western border of the Great Plains.
The state of Colorado received its name from the Spanish named Colorado River (Rio Colorado). United States President Ulysses S. Grant on August 1st 1867 signed a declaration allowing Colorado entry into the Union to be recognized as the 38th state of the United States of America. Colorado having become a state during the centennial year of the Declaration of Independence for the United States the state was nicknamed the Centennial State.
Eastern Colorado is known for its vast farmlands consisting of several small farming communities known for producing wheat, corn, oats and soybeans. The territory is additionally known for its expansive livestock including a number of hog farms and cattle ranches primarily sustained by the irrigation water from the Arkansas River fond within the South Platte as well as a handful of other streams and subterranean springs such as artesian wells.
Facts about Colorado
- Colorado is known as the 22nd most populous state of the United States and the 8th largest of the 50 United States.
- The state of Colorado is adjoined by the northwestern state of Wyoming, the Midwestern states of Kansas and Nebraska the southern states of Oklahoma and New Mexico and the Arizona allowing the four states including Arizona, New Mexico, Utah and Colorado to converge at a shared point noted as the heart of the American Southwest, the Four Corners.
- The most populous city within the state of Colorado is the city of denver with a large majority of the state’s pollution found along the eastern boundary of the Rocky Mountains in an area between Cheyenne, Wyoming and Pueblo known as the Front Range Urban Corridor noted for providing protection from the existing storms occasionally blowing in from the Pacific Ocean.
- Colorado is renown for its sundry geographical features including its deep canyons, luxuriant forests , rivers and lakes, sandstone and granite rock formations and its waterless deserts and plains containing massive sand dunes.
- Colorado along with Wyoming, and Utah are the only three states of the United States of America to have their borders defined by lines of longitude and latitude. Although land surveyors encountered a number of errors resulting in slight abnormalities along the border shared with Utah, the state, federal and territorial governments nevertheless agreed that the benchmarks be recognized as legal boundaries for Colorado.
- The highest point of Colorado and the Rocky Mountains is known as the summit of Mount Elbert found in Lake County at a hight of 4,401 meters. Conversely the lowest point of the state of Colorado and of any of the 50 states lies at an elevation of 3,317 feet at the point where the the Arikaree River exits Yuma County to flow into Cheyenne County in Kansas.
- The state of Colorado is the only state of all 50 states of the United States of America to sit at an elevation of over 3,281 feet.
- One of the most distinctive features of the state of Colorado is its extreme changes in weather occurring in areas with the least populous. The state is typically accustomed to a number of thunderstorms and some of the largest hail storms experienced in North America. The Eastern Plains of Colorado is recognized as the furthest western territory for the notorious Tornado Alley known for producing some of the most devastating tornadoes in the history of the Unites States.
Arapahoe Basin Webcams
The Arapahoe Basin Ski Resort located in Summit County, Colorado and home to more than four hundred thousand visitors per year is covered in over three hundred inches of snow during the winter season. The Arapahoe Basin to most Coloradans is popularly referred to as “The Legend” containing one of the longest seasons for skiing in the United States from October to June.
The Resort contains several webcams providing online viewers with a live broadcast featuring a number of locations including the Snow Plume Refuge, the Mid-Mountain/Black Mountain Lodge, the Beach/Bottom of Pali and a fe others by clicking on the link provided below.
View Arapahoe Basin webcam.
Beaver Creek Resort Webcam
Beaver Creek Resort initially designed to welcome skiers of all levels was first opened to the public on December 15th 1980. Since then the facility has played host to a number of major events including he World Ski Championships in 1989 in addition to seven consecutive years of hosting the Prey World Cup and Audi Birds of Prey to a vast audience consisting of hundreds of professional skiers and spectators.
Beaver Creek via its website hosts a number of webcams with a live video stream allowing visitors an in-depth look at the surrounding areas including the Family Ice Arena, BC Ranch and several other locations by visiting the link below.
Webcams are updated per five minutes, between 6:00am through to 3:55pm daily.
Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park Webcams
Located in western Colorado, United States, the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park containing 12 miles of the 48-mile canyon of the Gunnison River is a National Park operated by the National Park Service. Visitors to the park are allowed access from three specific locations. The first and more developed entrance point is found some 37 miles east of Montrose and slightly wet of the Blue Mesa Reservoir. The second entrance known as the south rim entrance is located 15 miles east of Montrose and the third entrance or north rim entrance which is generally closed during the winter months is found 11 miles south of Crawford.
The park contains two webcams providing online viewers with a live stream from Gunnison Point and Grizzly Ridge shown in the link below.
Denver Colorado Webcams
Two webcams located in Denver Colorado – one from Colfax avenue at Broadway and another of the Denver Art Museum.
View Live Webcam: Denver Colorado Webcams
Hahns Peak Webcam in Colorado
This Colorado cam provides a live view of Hahn’s Peak from Steamboat Lake State Park. Gives an awesome view of Hahns Peak and surrounding area. Image updates every second.
View Live Webcam: Hahns Peak Webcam in Colorado
Colorado River Webcam
This is an awesome webcam of the Colorado River courtesy of the Canyonlands Natural History Association. This webcam gives you a view of the Colorado River as you would see it from Red Cliffs Lodge.
View Live Webcam: Colorado River Webcam
Ridgway Colorado Webcam
Awesome webcam shows a stunning view of Ridgway, Colorado. See the Rocky Mountains and town of Ridgway. Image updates every second.
View Live Webcam: Ridgway Colorado Webcam
Royal Gorge Bridge Webcam
This is an awesome webcam that gives a view of the Royal Gorge Bridge and park located in Canon City, Colorado. If you have never been, it is a must see landmark. You can walk or drive over the bridge and ride a tram to the bottom of the gorge if you like. If you are standing on the bridge it is pretty scary… look through the cracks and you might barely be able see tiny white water rafters below.
View Live Webcam: Royal Gorge Bridge Webcam
Boulder Colorado Webcam
This webcam gives a live view of Boulder, Colorado and the Rocky Mountains in the background. It is an Live view – AXIS 211M Network Camera with a large image that updates every second.
View Live Webcam: Boulder Colorado Webcam